Thursday, January 12, 2006

This can only mean one thing

The sharpened axe lying by the chopping block..... the gate to the hen house swinging open.... the silence in the back yard... the pale faced husband.... the rows of silverbeet unpicked......the bags of sawdust from the chook house neatly lined up against the fence....

Yes, it can only mean one thing - our "past the use by date" chooks have been dispatched to that place where all good chooks go. And my kind husband was good enough to wait till I was back at work so I didn't have to witness all the unpleasant and gory events unfolding.

I miss them - as I have been weeding the garden I keep thinking how much they loved me chucking the weeds to them, and how excited they used to get when we chucked the kitchen scraps in for them to pick through and fight over.

I'm looking forward to the new lot arriving.

No comments: