Sunday, October 08, 2006

Unforgettable sermons #1

I wonder if there is anyone else who, like me, have heard sermons that stick in your mind forever.

Mostly they are because God used them to impact my Christian walk in an unforgettable way.

I remember two from my teens - one because for the first time it helped me understand that forgiveness of sin does not always mean that you don't have to face the consequences of sin. i.e. if you are in jail for stealing and ask for forgiveness for that sin, if doesn't mean you get let off the rest of your jail sentence - you still have to face the consequences.

The other I remember for not so good reasons - a guest speaker who preached that unconfessed sin put your salvation in doubt. ( Now, on reflection, I suspect he was working up to an altar call that no one could refuse to respond to.) What I remember most is my father having the courage to stand up against a very popular "man of the times" and refute that claim backing it up with scripture.

It is not that every sermon does not impact me in some way, just that some stand out as defining moments for me.

No comments: